Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pat and Barb's 50th Wedding Anniversary

Last weekend we went to Matt's grandparents 50th wedding anniversary party. Let me just tell you a little bit about these amazing people. They are probably the nicest people ever, they are always doing things for other people, in fact, they take care of several older ladies who cannot take care of themselves. When they got married, Pat was studying to be a Catholic Priest. He didn't join the church for quite a few years, but if you talked to him now you would never know that he was a convert, he knows so much about the gospel! So does Barb. Barb used to be our substitute seminary teacher and always had so many good insights about what ever we were studying. They both love to golf. I guess that's one thing they have passed down to their kids, I think almost all of them golf on a regular basis, and get WAY competitive when they all play together, Matt tells me stories about thrown/bent/broken clubs when all the brothers play each other. They are the proud parents of 10 children, but only 9 are living, 8 spouses. They have 25 grandkids, 6 grandkid spouses, and 2 great-grandkids, thats 52 if you count everyone, and the family is still growing! It's quite a crowd when everyone gets together! Barb used to always joke with me that someday I would be part of the family back when Matt and I were in high school, and now I am. She still tells me that she always knew I'd end up with "her Mattie".

The party was great! Pat and Barb never had a real wedding reception, even though they were married 3 times! (1-In front of a Justice of the Peace 2-In the catholic church 3-Sealed in the temple) So their kids made this the reception they never had, complete with first dance and feeding each other cake. It was great to see how in love they still are even after 50 years together. It was sweet to hear each of them talk about their marriage and when they were dating. Barb still remembers exactly what she wore on their first date, how cute is that!

Pretty much I hope that someday Matt and I can be as wonderful and loved as his grandparents are. I want to be like them when I grow up!

"First Dance"



















^ All the kids, oldest to youngest. Mike (Matt's Dad), Kristine, Greg, Sean, Jennifer, Matt, Becky,Barbie, Mary Ellen, and Megan
^Matt and his cousin Brianna (Becky's youngest)

Shellie and I cleaning up confetti that a little kid dumped all over the carpet...that stuff is awful to clean up, it probably took us 5 minutes to get one little cup picked up!

No comments:

Post a Comment