Thursday, May 16, 2013

6 Months

Today I have been thinking about how long/short six months is. It's half a year, 1/48th of my life, winter semester plus spring term, twice as long as we spent in Russia, less than half the time we've lived in Glenwood since we graduated, almost as long as Matt and I were engaged.

Mason turned six months old today. I can't believe it has already been that long. It feels like just a few weeks ago that we were in the hospital with him, counting the days till we could bring our sweet boy home.  I could not imagine my life without him. In all honesty, even though it was only 6 months ago, I can't remember what life was like before he was born. Well I can, but at the same time I can't. It feels like he has always been a part of our lives.This kid blows me away each and every day with how much he has changed in such a short period of time. He rolls over front to back and back to front, he has two teeth, he loves applesauce and sweet potatoes, tolerates broccoli, and hates green beans. He loves to sleep in the middle of the bed, just not his bed. He is still my little cuddle bug (right now as I'm typing this up he is curled up on my chest asleep). He puts anything he can get his hands on into his mouth and especially likes to grab onto my hair. So if you see me with my hair up more often you'll know why! I am totally and completely in love with this little boy!
At the same time that I can't believe how fast the last six months have gone, I look forward to the next six months thinking that it seems so long. It will be at least six months until both of my boys will be with me for more than a weekend. More than six months until I can have a house of my own again, with my own things, decorated by me and lived in by just us three. 

On a separate note, I've gotten 3 letters and one envelope with a bunch of insurance forms plus 2 notes. I am certain that insurance forms were created by Satan himself. Good grief. They may or may not have had me biting my tongue to keep from swearing at the stupid forms. It doesn't help that they have all these acronyms that I don't know yet and that I don't live near a military hospital or clinic. The only pediatrician listed as in network is in New Castle and I know nothing about her. All the family practice doctors are at Mountain Family, which is not a place I will ever take Mason. EVER. Matt went once to get his staph infection checked when we were home for Christmas and the whole office felt dirty. Not good for a doctor's office. Plus the only people who spoke decent English were the doctors. It's just not going to happen. (OK. My little rant is over) On the plus side my doctor is on the list so I don't have to find anyone new. 

A few nights ago I decided that my count down to all of us being together is going to be by chapters in the Book of Mormon. I've always been bad about reading scriptures daily, so this is a good way to get myself to do it. I put a picture of all of us that I took on our hike the week before Matt left in the chapter I should be at when he finishes OCS. All of us together is the goal and I'll read myself to it. The nice thing is that I can move the picture up a few chapters or back a few chapters depending on the dates when the time comes. Most nights I've been reading out loud to Mason as I feed him before bed. Although some nights if he's already asleep I just read to myself. The scriptures have a great calming effect on me. I have noticed that Mason and I both sleep better on nights when we read them. Reading them has greatly helped me not feel so lonely as I fall asleep at night. I think it is because I have something else to think about as I fall asleep. 

OH! How could I forget! I got to talk to Matt yesterday! It feels like it was forever ago because the phone call came at 2:15 AM...yes you read that right...phone call in the middle of the night. Luckily Mason had just finished eating so I was partially awake to hear the phone vibrate on the bed. I thought for sure my eyes were playing tricks on me or that I was dreaming when I saw his name come up on the screen. It was wonderful to hear his voice again. I wish I'd been more awake to be able to carry on a real conversation with him, but it was amazing nonetheless. I love that boy so much! And I miss him almost as much. I think the hardest part about him being gone is that I know that he's pretty much miserable right now. The first 3 weeks of Basic are supposed to be one of the hardest anyone will ever go through. It's kinda the "break them down so we can build them up how we want them" mentality. I don't know that I agree with that, but I do want to know that when Matt ends up in a combat zone, the guy next to him will have the proper training and have his back. 
This post has been kinda random but it is what is on my mind at the moment so that makes it all relevant I guess. I just have to keep reminding myself of our family motto: We can do hard things. Which may need to become the new name of this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment